Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sneaking off with Mom...

Despite the dipping temperatures (although it is no where near what I would like...I am a cold weather lover myself), I have been taking the kids to our local ice cream shop for a little sweet goodness. Just this last week we headed there at least 3 times, and I am not at all ashamed to say that it was at my request :)

The boys take their wondrous time looking at all of the tubs of creamy goodness, through the glass licking their lips. They get to pick whatever they want. Rafaella is patient, she knows she will share my cup.

Once they have picked and I have ordered we sit and enjoy our treats and we just talk. Sometimes the boys talk all at once, almost screaming, trying to say everything in their mind. Rafaella even starts in with her babytalk, and their voices echo through the parlor. I can't help but laugh the entire time.

It reminds me of those moments when my Mother used to take my brothers and I out for the afternoon. And what stays with me most were those occasions when she and I, alone, would sneak away to get something to eat and to chat. We'd tell my dad and brothers that we had an errand to run, and we'd find ourselves having lunch at a restaurant and not accomplishing much of anything but keeping our bellies full and our minds occupied with exchanged stories.

These days, when she comes here to visit from California, Greg just expects for us to make up an excuse to get out of the house, but he knows that we are at a local joint, stuffing our faces and cackling and gossiping.

How important those moments were...now looking back I know now that this was a way she kept connected with me. I remember at times I would just wonder *why* we had to do things together...what teen hasn't...

Now as a Mother, I can see that it has made all of the difference in the world.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

*sniffling*

Tif, that was such a warm, heart-felt post. You are your mom are so lucky to have that, and you are carrying on the tradition with your children, too. They are so lucky!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home