Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A litte Zen Garden

...made by Alison, that is.

Rafaella in Ahmay Designs: Zen Garden

I cannot describe the excitement I feel when I get "fluff" (soft yummy stuff) in the mail. And I am especially most thrilled when the "fluff" is made by another Mama.

Soon after I found that I had a love for crafting, I realized that there were so many Mothers who are just like me. While they come from all walks of life and from all corners of many countries, I share their love of creating, of challenging ourselves to push our talent, and to value craft as a process.

I have found such a bond with some of these women. Our conversations revolve around the fabrics and fibers we covet, or what patterns and methods to achieve success. While we eventually talk of our families and lives, we are brought together under the premise that we respect each other's want to make something beautiful, useful, and cherished.

I suppose that blog readers are not surprised that we meet through message boards. Mother/Crafters are brought together at all hours of the day with a few clicks of the mouse. I have trusted colleagues I have never met, and I rely on them for friendship as I nurse my babe, or when I am holding her as she naps.

But folks I know IRL (in real life) are a little perplexed that not only do these communities exist, but that true friendships can come from it. How can one possibly create and maintain friendships with those one has never seen?

There are so many stories of friendships gone stalker-ish, or about perverted lurkers and sick individuals on the net. And I do believe that there are these people, but there are those who are sincere, just like I am, and I have found communities are are private, respectful, and resourceful.

We send each other well wishes on our special days, we share our journey in pregnancy, motherhood, and we buy/sell/trade the fruits of our talents.

And these friendships are substantial, and though they do not take away from the friendships we have IRL (though these friendships certainly are real-do not let this acronym fool you), these friendships add depth to the relationships we form in our lifetime.

...and for this I am grateful.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

That outfit and of course, the little one wearing the outfit are just perfect! I count myself lucky to have "met" you, Tif!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Egomomiac said...

She sure is a cutey! For me, friends online not only are good friends, one of them happens to now be my husband! And boy does he stalk me! ;D

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home