Monday, February 05, 2007

So, it didn't snow...

Ah, I should have known. The kids were disappointed; they were ready with their waterproof gloves. I even brought my shovel to my front step, ready for the opportunity to flex some (non)muscles.

It was a pretty pitiful sight actually, with me peering out the window searching for snowflakes.

By this afternoon however, the temperature dropped and it became quite chilly, and the boys asked that I make some cinnamon rolls. I gladly obliged, and the second rise will be overnight in the refrigerator for tomorrow's breakfast.

I was never really much of a baker. I always thought that there was such a finality in baking, that there wasn't the opportunity to correct a recipe until it was too late. I had such aversion to it that I stuck to what I do best and that was to cook.

But over time I just felt that I needed to overcome this fear, and I begged Greg for a mixer to make my life easier. I thought that if the mixer came as a gift I would be more obliged to learn? I asked and I asked but didn't think I would get one. But on Christmas day, my little (large!) wish came true, and I found Tiana (in imperial black) sitting on my counter.

Yes I name my gadgets.

Tiana and I have had wonderful times together. Since Christmas I have taken plunges in baking I never thought I would, such as Proofing Yeast and Kneading. And sometimes Greg, the kids and I get to partake in some successful creations!, and other times, well, I faced the truth of discarding flour (though I despise wasting food and food ingredients). But I'm no longer scared, and that's what matters the most, I think.


With today's baking, also came knitting. February's Knit Along at Sewing Mamas is all about knitting for others. I started promptly on a pair of wool pants for Rafaella, hoping I could get away with making them with such little yarn.

Rafaella has gone through a growth spurt however and I think I will be lucky to get a large pair of shorts from the single skein and trim of Morwenna's Yarn.

I am still quietly hopeful I can get capris from the coveted amount I have.

(lalalalalalalalal, don't tell me otherwise please!)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it that you name your appliances. I would have giggled out loud if my DH wasn't snoozing a few feet away.

I have joined a knitting club at work of all places. I am so excited - it's all about knitting for others. Very exciting!!

I love the colors in the yarn. I hereby decree that you will get capris!!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I begged Dave for the same mixer a few years ago!! I love it!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home