Thursday, January 04, 2007

Filipino Comfort Food: Picadillo (pick-a-d-yo)

...a smattering of yummy veggies : potatoes, onions, tomatoes and peas mixed in, cooked and simmered with a choice of ground meat or poulty.

Comfort food.

My mama made us this dish at least once a week. While other Americans had pizza, we had Picadillo. We ate it over steamed white rice, and served it to ourselves using a fork and spoon (one in each hand, just to make sure you know what I meant).

My kids now love the dish, mixed in with the same Calrose Rice.

I smile when I hear Cooper making "yum yum yum" sounds when he eats this dish, when Greggy asks for a second helping, or when Rafaella smashes the food all over her face.

Home is where love is...and where Picadillo is being made.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

That sounds sooo yummy! Never heard of it before.
And the cookie before this post looks yummy too ;)

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home